Monday, July 9, 2012

Comic Book Movies

Finally saw The Avengers last night. Glad I saw it before it was no longer in theaters, but I must say, the experience was lacking. Not because of the movie, but due to a pretty violent storm in our area last night the power was flickering in the theater and twice the movie stopped and had to be restarted. If it hadn't been hurricaning (if that's not a word, it should be) outside I would've demanded a refund and left. But we stuck it out, and the movie was pretty good.

**There are spoliers here if you haven't seen this movie, just sayin**


Firstly, the only romance to speak of was between Stark & Potts, and even that was limited, and almost parodied. They kept it lighthearted and funny. The injection of stupid romance was part of why I didn't care much for Thor when I first watched it. The weird thing between The Black Widow & Hawkeye wasn't just , weird, so I don't include that. It was almost creepy, actually, which I kind of like, so yeah.

The only sort of pre-cursor to The Avengers I hadn't seen, was The Incredible Hulk (2008) which wasn't even the same actor, so I don't know if it qualifies in this sense. Iron Man, Thor, Captain America- those were all the same folks. As previously mentioned, I didn't care that much for Thor, as a whole, but it did have some pretty good action. I liked the Iron Man movies, mostly because RDJ is great, and beause TOny Stark is very likeable. Captain American was kinda of meh, in my opinion. It might be because I don't like the actor, I'm not sure.

The new characters, Hawkeye and Black Widow, were bad-ass in their own ways, I guess, but I could take them or leave them. Hawkeye's prowess was revealed too late, IMO- up at the top of the skyscraper, picking off the aliens, he was very cool. Scarlett Johanson is always smokin hot, though her character lacked something I can't quite put my finger on.

But anyway, I enjoyed The Avengers, in the end, mostly because of Mark Ruffalo's Bruce Banner/Hulk. He was awesome. Best part- Loki facing Hulk and saying he "will not be bullied..." and Hulk smashing him around the room like a rag doll. That, and in the end, where Iron Man is laying, motionless, and Hulk yells in his face, I was cracking up. I could defintely watch an entire movie of that.

I've heard The Amazing Spiderman isn't so amazing. I'm not sure I've liked the previous incarnations of Spidey in theaters anyway. Batman has done fairly well, and my favorite actor behind the bat is Christain Bale. Dark Knight Rises looks to be very good, and I will go see that. Green Lantern was so-so, maybe leaning toward blah, though the character is one of my favorites from the comics. Fantastic Four, not really my cup of tea, but The Silver Surfer added much to their last film. Haven't seen any of the relatively recent Superman movies.

What are your favorite comic book superheroes, and which movies have you enjoyed or at elast thought did justice to their heroes?

No comments:

Post a Comment